If you would like to use Scheduling alone, see Setting Up Scheduling for Your Workplace.
- This article describes how to set up your account from a computer. While you can also use your iOS or Android device to start scheduling, we recommend using a computer. The extra screen size and advanced tools greatly speeds up the process.
- New accounts start on a free trial. The user with admin level access can upgrade the account’s plan.
Before you begin
- If you haven’t used When I Work before, sign up for an account.
- If you already have an account, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
Set up Scheduling and Attendance
Configure your account to fit your workplace needs.
Name the schedule
Hover over , then select Schedules to edit your default schedule or to add more schedules.
Consider setting up separate schedules. You might want to set up multiple schedules if your workplace operates out of different physical locations/regions or you want to build separate schedules for different teams/departments.
Hover over , then select Positions to create or edit positions.
Create a position for each type of role in your workplace. Positions tie people and shifts to a particular duty or skill. Keeping users and shifts separated by position helps you ensure that your workplace has the skill coverage that you need.
Hover over , then select Users to view and manage your user list.
There are several ways to add user:
- Add users one at a time: Use this method if you know your user’s contact information (email address and/or phone number).
- Import multiple users at the same time: Use this method if you know your user’s contact information (email address and phone number) and you want to save time entering user information.
- Tell your users to register with your When I Work account: Use this option if you don’t know your user’s contact information. When users register without being explicitly invited, you must approve their accounts.
Create shift templates
Hover over , then select Shift Templates to create or edit shift templates.
Create a shift template for each standard shift at your workplace. Instead of manually entering in custom shift details one-by-one on the scheduler, shift templates let you easily create shifts that are scheduled often, speeding up the schedule building process.
Configure Scheduling settings
Hover over , then select Scheduling Settings to configure.
Determine how users interact with the schedule by configuring the Scheduling Settings. The Scheduling Settings includes options that allow users to take accountability for their own schedule.
Configure Attendance settings
Hover over , then select Attendance Settings. Customize attendance settings to meet the needs of your workplace.
Decide which time clock methods will meet the needs of your workplace. When I Work offers three different methods for clocking in and out. You can allow users to clock in using any or all of the following options:
- Clock in with Time Clock Terminal: A time clock terminal is a dedicated computer, tablet, or smartphone located at your workplace.
NOTE: The time clock terminal option is always enabled. Management can set up and lock a time clock terminal at any time.
- Clock in with Mobile App: User’s iOS devices and Android devices (with the When I Work app).
- Clock in with Personal Computer: User’s personal computers that are connected to your workplace network.
Prepare your schedules and job sites
Set up your schedules and job sites with addresses to make sure users are clocking in from the right location. For more information, check out Restricting Where Users Can Clock In.
Click Scheduler on the navigation bar.
Add shifts using the shift templates you set up or create a custom shift. Keep the shifts unpublished while building the schedule. This allows you to make changes to schedule as a whole before notifying your users about their upcoming shifts.
Prepare your shifts for clocking in
To allow your users to clock in, their shifts must be tagged with the correct schedule and job site.
Use the Scheduler to confirm that future shifts are tagged to the correct schedule and job site.
If you have multiple schedules, review each schedule one at a time:
- On the left side of the page, select a schedule:
- Review all future shifts to make sure they are assigned to the correct schedule.
- If you use job sites, make sure shifts are assigned to the correct job sites. Use the Job Site filter to show shifts by job site.
Review shift templates
If you’ve created any shift templates, review them to make sure they are assigned to the correct schedule:
- Hover over , then select Shift Templates.
- Review the list of shift templates to verify that the Schedule column is correct.
- If a shift template is set to the wrong schedule, click the shift template to set the correct schedule.
Publish the schedule
When your weekly schedule is complete, publish the schedule to notify your staff about their shifts.
Instruct users to clock in
Now that your clock in methods are defined, tell your users how they should clock in to their shifts. We recommend sending a WorkChat message to announce time clock procedures to your users.
Reference our articles on clocking in and out:
- From the Scheduler:
- Configure your company logo and preferences in the General Settings.
- Review and edit timesheets from your computer, iOS device, or Android device.
- Close and export pay period hours.
- Check out Web App Navigation Reference for managers to help find features and settings within the account.