This article walks through how to start Scheduling with When I Work.
If you would like to use the Scheduling and the Time Clock & Attendance services together, see Setting Up Scheduling and Time Clock & Attendance for Your Workplace.
- This article describes how to set up your account from a computer. While you can also use your iOS or Android device to start scheduling, we recommend using a computer. The extra screen size and advanced tools greatly speed up the process.
- New accounts start on a free trial. The user with admin level access can upgrade the account’s plan.
Before you begin
- If you haven’t used When I Work before, sign up for an account.
- If you already have an account, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
Set up Scheduling
Configure your account to fit your workplace needs.
Name the schedule
Hover over , then select Schedules to edit your default schedule or to add more schedules.
Consider setting up separate schedules. You might want to set up multiple schedules if your workplace operates out of different physical locations/regions or you want to build separate schedules for different teams/departments.
Hover over , then select Positions to create or edit positions.
Create a position for each role in your workplace. Positions tie people and shifts to a particular duty or skill. Keeping users and shifts separated by position helps you ensure that your workplace has the skilled coverage that you need.
Hover over , then select Users to view and manage your user list.
There are several ways to add users:
- Add users one at a time: Use this method if you know your user’s contact information (email address and/or phone number).
- Import multiple users at the same time: Use this method if you know your user’s contact information (email address and phone number) and you want to save time entering user information.
- Tell your users to register with your When I Work account: Use this option if you don’t know your user’s contact information. When users register without being explicitly invited, you must approve their accounts.
Create shift templates
Hover over , then select Shift Templates to create or edit shift templates.
Create a shift template for each standard shift at your workplace. Instead of manually entering in custom shift details one-by-one on the scheduler, shift templates let you easily create shifts that are scheduled often, speeding up the schedule-building process.
Configure scheduling settings
Hover over , then select Scheduling Settings to configure.
Determine how users interact with the schedule by configuring the Scheduling Settings. The Scheduling Settings include options that allow users to take accountability for their own schedule.
Schedule shifts for a week
Use the scheduler to add shifts to your first weekly schedule.
Create the schedule
Click Scheduler on the navigation bar.
Add shifts using the shift templates you set up or create a custom shift. Keep the shifts unpublished while building the schedule. This allows you to make changes to the schedule as a whole before notifying your users about their upcoming shifts.
Publish the schedule
When your weekly schedule is complete, publish the schedule to notify your staff about their shifts.
- From the Scheduler:
- Create a schedule template based on this week to use over and over.
- Add OpenShifts to create shifts that can be picked up by eligible users.
- Configure your company logo and preferences in the General Settings.
- Check out Web App Navigation Reference for managers to help find features and settings within the account.