You can edit the way your account’s Attendance settings are configured any time in the App Settings page.
Accessing the Time Clock & Attendance settings
- Access the app settings page by hovering over your name at the top right corner.
- Click the Attendance tab at the left side of your screen.
Then you will see that you have two different features to configure settings for – Time Clock and Payroll.
Time clock settings
At the top, you can select how you’d like your employees to clock in and out of their shifts.
There are three different options to choose from:
- Fixed Terminal: Allows managers to transform a computer, laptop, or tablet into a dedicated time clock terminal. If a device is set up as a terminal, it shouldn’t be used for other purposes.
This method is always on. Follow our instructions to set up a fixed time clock.
- Mobile: Allows employees to clock in and out using the When I Work app on their iPhone/iPad or Android devices. If you enable location restrictions, GPS coordinates ensure that employees clock in from the appropriate location or job site.
Click the toggle to turn this method on or off. Follow our instructions to allow employees to clock in from mobile devices.
- Work Computer: Allows employees to clock in while they are logged into their When I Work accounts on a computer. This feature is recommended if you want your employees to clock in at their own work computer, or if your work computer is used for more than just clocking in and out. You can set it up so that your employees will only be able to clock in if they are on your business’s internet connection.
Click the toggle to turn this method on or off. Follow our instructions to allow employees to clock in from work computers.
If you made any changes, click Save.
Forcing users to clock in near a location
If the mobile time clock method is enabled, when I Work can use GPS coordinates to ensure that employees are physically located near the appropriate location or job site when they clock in. This restriction does not apply when employees clock out.
To restrict mobile clock in by location:
- Select Force Users to Clock In Near the Specified Location and/or Job Site.
- In Maximum Distance When Clocking In, configure how close employees must be to the address (in meters) in order to clock in.
- The default is 100 meters. If you adjust this value, we recommend entering a value greater than 50 meters.
- If employees are having trouble clocking in, try entering a larger number to extend the radius around the address.
Adjust when employees can clock in
If you would only like your employees to clock in within a certain time frame before their shift starts, you can choose from the options within the Users Must Clockin Within menu.
You can choose between the following options: Anytime (no shift required), 5 minutes of a shift, 15 minutes of a shift, or 30 minutes of a shift. By default, this is set to 15 minutes of a shift. This will make sure your employees are not clocking in too early for their shifts.
Note: Clock in restrictions do not apply fixed time clock terminals on iPhones and iPads.
In this section, you can adjust various settings regarding payroll.
Note: If you are a Manager and cannot view this section, you must have the Account Holder grant you access by checking Can Manage Payroll in your employee profile.
Employee timesheet edit
Choose whether or not your employees have access to edit their time sheets by selecting or deselecting the check box to the left of Allow employees to enter and edit their own time sheets.
Pay period settings
Configure your pay period type from the drop down menu titled Pay Period Type. You can choose from the following options: Bi-Weekly, Weekly, Bi-Monthly, or Monthly.
- Bi-Weekly: Select this option if your employees receive payment every two weeks. Payroll is calculated every other week based on the payroll end date.
- Weekly: Select this option if your employees are paid every week. Payroll is calculated every week based on the payroll end date.
- Bi-Monthly: Select this option if your employees receive payment twice a month. Payroll is calculated every 15 days based on the pay period end date.
- Monthly: Select this option if your employees are paid once a month. Payroll is calculated every month based on the pay period end date.
Set up your overtime thresholds so employees are paid extra depending on certain circumstances. You can adjust the thresholds based on weekly, daily, and daily double overtime thresholds.
- Weekly and daily overtime are paid at 1.5 times the normal rate.
- Daily double overtime is paid at 2 times the normal rate.
- For more information on how overtime works, see How Overtime is Calculated.
Payroll cutoff time
The payroll cutoff time determines when one pay period ends and the next pay period begins. It also determines when daily and weekly overtime calculations start over.
By default, the payroll cutoff time is set to midnight. This means if a shift goes from 8p-8a, 4 hours fall on the previous day and 8 hours fall on the next day.
If you would like daily overtime to be calculated after midnight for all shifts, then you will want to set the Payroll Cutoff Time.