Schedule an OpenShift when you’d like a qualified employee to pick up a shift instead of assigning it to a specific person. OpenShifts are a good fit when:
- You want to give your employees the flexibility to pick up shifts that work best for them.
- Your employees’ availability is complicated, and letting them pick up shifts themselves saves time for everyone.
How do OpenShifts work?
When you publish an OpenShift, employees that are both available and qualified for the shift have the option to pick it up. The first employee to view and accept the OpenShift gets it automatically.
What defines an available employee?
An employee is available to take an OpenShift if he or she is not already scheduled. The employee must be completely available for the full length of the OpenShift. For example, someone who is scheduled to work from 9am-5pm would not be able to see or take an OpenShift that starts at 4pm.
What defines a qualified employee?
An employee is qualified to take an OpenShift if he or she is tagged with a position that matches the position assigned to the OpenShift. Check out How to Create Positions and Tag Employees to Position(s). For example, an employee who is only tagged as a Bartender can see all of the Bartender OpenShifts, but not have any visibility to OpenShifts for other positions.
When are employees notified about OpenShifts?
When I Work notifies employees when:
- You publish an OpenShift that they’re qualified to take.
- You save changes to a published OpenShift that they’re qualified to take.
- You offer them an OpenShift. When you offer an OpenShift to specific employees, notifications about the OpenShift are sent only to those employees.
Schedule an OpenShift
Open the When I Work Employee Scheduling app.
- In the top-left corner of the screen, tap Menu button.
- Tap Schedule in the menu.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, tap Plus button.
- If you’d like to use a shift template as the basis for the OpenShift, tap it in the list. Otherwise, tap Custom Shift.
- Set up the shift details. In particular:
- Select the Location where the shift will occur.
- Under Who, make sure to select Open Shift.
- Select the Position required for the shift. Selecting the position ensures that only qualified employees can see the OpenShift.
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.
A confirmation prompt appears.
- If you want to save the shift without making it visible to qualified employees, tap Save (unpublish).
- If you want to make the shift visible and notify qualified employees, tap Save & Publish.