When employees request to swap/drop shifts, you can use the When I Work web app to process the requests from your computer.
Things to know before you begin
- You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to process employee requests. If you’re a supervisor, you can only process requests for employees that belong to your schedules.
- Swap and drop requests do not require approval if Require Manager Review is turned off in App Settings.
- All requests have a status. Learn more about the different Shift Request Statuses.
How do I know when requests need my attention?
When a request needs your attention:
- We’ll send you an email and/or a mobile alert based on your alert preferences.
- The Notification Bell in the top-left corner of the When I Work web app shows a count badge. Click Notification Bell for more information.
Finding a shift request
Hover your pointer over Inbox menu, then click Shift Requests.
- Scroll up and down on the Shift Requests page to browse through all of the Shift Requests.
- Search for a request using the search bar at the top of the page.
Acting on a shift request
- From your computer, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
- Near the top-right corner of the page, hover your pointer over Inbox menu, then click Shift Requests.
- Click the Swap or Drop request that you want to process.
Requests with status Pending Approval need your attention.
- (Optional) To send a message to the employees involved, type a message under Conversation/Activity, then click Post.
- (Optional) If you would like to change who the swap or drop request is offered to, click a shift (swap request) or employee (drop request) to remove it from the request.
- Click Approve or Deny.
The employees involved in the request are automatically notified. When the request is completed, you’ll receive a notification.
Shift request statuses
|Description||The request is waiting for approval from management.1|
|Description||The request is waiting for a response from another employee.|
|Description||An employee has accepted the request.|
|Description||The manager or the user that created the request has canceled the request. A request can also be canceled automatically if the offered shift is changed by management.|
|Description||All recipients of the request declined it.|
|Description||The specific day regarding the request has passed; no one accepted or declined it in time.|
|Description||The request was denied by management.|
|Pending Approval||The request is waiting for approval from management.1|
|Pending Acceptance||The request is waiting for a response from another employee.|
|Accepted||An employee has accepted the request.|
|Canceled||The manager or the user that created the request has canceled the request. A request can also be canceled automatically if the offered shift is changed by management.|
|Declined||All recipients of the request declined it.|
|Expired||The specific day regarding the request has passed; no one accepted or declined it in time.|
|Denied||The request was denied by management.|
1 This status only appears when Require Approval for Employees is enabled for time off requests.