When I Work makes keeping track of employees’ hours easy as you’re building the schedule. In addition to seeing total hours for all employees for a day or week, you can see an individual employee’s:
- Preferred number of hours per week
- Scheduled hours per day or week
- Max number of hours they should be scheduled per week
Things to know before you begin
- When I Work shows you if you’ve scheduled an employee beyond their preferred or max hours, but does not prevent you from scheduling shifts beyond an employee’s preferred or max hours.
- If you use Time Clock & Attendance, you can view overtime based on worked hours on employees’ time sheets.
View an employee’s scheduled hours
Three numbers display below each employee’s name in the schedule while in week view, indicating their preferred / scheduled / max hours.
- Preferred hours: An employee can set the number of hours they prefer to work per week in their profile. The numbers below an employee’s name turn orange if their scheduled hours exceed their preferred hours.
- Scheduled hours: The total number of scheduled hours an employee has for the week. Scheduled hours include unpaid breaks.
- Max hours: A manager can set the max hours an employee can work per week in the employee’s profile. The numbers below an employee’s name turn red if their scheduled hours exceed their max hours.
View total hours
Total paid hours are displayed at the bottom of the schedule in day and week view. Only paid hours are taken into account for total hour calculations; unpaid breaks are not included.
Hourly totals at the bottom of the schedule show how many paid hours are scheduled throughout the day.
Daily totals of scheduled hours show how many paid hours you have scheduled per day.
Track max hours while scheduling
If you have set the max number of hours an employee can work in a week, When I Work shows you when an employee exceeds their max hours based on the hours you schedule.
When you’re scheduling a shift, shift templates show an Over Max label if the shift template would put an employee over their max hours per week.
When you’re reassigning shifts from positions or month view, the Employee menu shows how many hours an employee would work over max hours per week if they were assigned a shift.