Whether you’re building a brand new account or updating your existing employee roster, the employee import feature has several benefits makes maintaining your employee’s information easy.
We offer an employee import template that streamlines the import process.
- Add all of your users in advance without their email address so you can invite them when you are ready.
- Make bulk updates to employee names, emails, schedules, positions, tags, base pay rate and employee codes, which are impacted by your payroll provider.
- We recommend using the When I Work employee import template for best results.
- Your employee spreadsheet cannot contain any special characters. Make sure your spreadsheet contains only:
- The following spreadsheet formats are supported:
- Microsoft Excel (.xlsx, xls)
- Comma-separated values (.csv)
- New employees are added and existing employee’s profiles are updated during a new employee import.
- The import spreadsheet must contain headers.
- A first name, last name, and one of the following: email, phone number or employee ID is required for each employee to complete an import.
Before you begin
- If you’re starting with an existing account, export your employee list and start with that as your source spreadsheet.
- If you’re starting fresh, download the employee import template and fill in all your employee’s information.
Import employee information
Hover over , then select Employees.
- Click more More button , then select Import Employees.
- Click Upload File.
- Select and upload your spreadsheet file.
- After your file has been uploaded, match any fields that was not automatically matched. Click Continue when your fields are matched.
- Review your employee import:
- If you want to invite employees immediately, check Send Employees and Invite to When I Work.
- If you need to add seats to your plan to invite more, select Add More Seats.
- Review the workplace objects that will be created. Correct any issues with your spreadsheet.
- Click Import Employees.
- Click Close after the import completes.