When I Work integrates with Square Payroll for quick and seamless time tracking and payroll services. The integration allows you to sync employees, schedules, and time entries between the systems.
Your workplace must use a paid Time Clock & Attendance plan to set up payroll integrations.
- This integration is available for US customers only.
- Employees must be active in Square Team Management in order for employees to sync to Square Payroll. NOTE: You do not need a separate subscription to Square Team Plus.
- If you do have a Square Team Plus plan, there are features in Team Plus that are not supported by When I Work. When I Work does not support matching positions in When I Work to job titles in Square. All hours reported from When I Work use the team member’s primary job title and hourly wage.
- Contact Square support if you are unsure about what type of account you have.
- When I Work is the source of truth for specific hours worked. Start and end times for hours worked are sent from When I Work to Square.
- Square is the source for the hourly wage that is used for the hours sent by When I Work. Square calculates all labor costs, wages paid, and overtime rules.
- Employees must use When I Work to track hours worked to use this integration. When I Work does not integrate with Square’s time clock.
- Unpaid breaks are not synced from When I Work to Square. If employees take unpaid breaks, edit the time entries after sending to Square.
Before you begin
The integration requires you to match When I Work objects (schedules and employees) to Square objects (locations and team members). Take a moment to survey your current Square objects and determine how they correspond to the objects you currently have set up in When I Work. Correct object matching is the most important step in securing your success with the integration. When I Work recommends reading this article in its entirety before getting started.
Initial account connection
Hover over , then select Integrations.
- Click See All Integrations, then click Learn More in the Square tile.
- Click Enable. You are directed to Square to log in.
- Click Allow to consent to the exchange of information between Square and When I Work. You are then directed back to When I Work.
Navigate to the Square integration in When I Work and complete the following steps to match all of your When I Work objects to Square objects.
Match up your When I Work schedules to Square locations. Please note the following before starting:
- Match your existing When I Work schedules first, then add from Square to avoid creating duplicates.
- More than one When I Work schedule can be matched with a single Square location.
- Only time entries for the matched When I Work schedule are sent to Square.
- Click Schedules to open the Schedules matching page.
- Click Match Schedules to map existing When I Work schedules to Square locations. The Match schedules dialog opens.
- Click Add From Square to create schedules that are based on unmatched Square locations. The Add schedules from Square locations dialog opens.
- Select the locations you want to match, then click Add.
Match up your When I Work employees to Square team members. Please note the following before starting:
- Match your existing When I Work employees first, then add from Square to avoid creating duplicates.
- Each employee must be matched with a single Square team member in order to successfully send hours to Square.
- Pay period hours are not sent for unmatched employees.
- Click Employees to open the Employees matching page.
- Click Match Employees to map the When I Work employee to a Square team member. The Match employee dialog opens.
- Select the team member that matches your When I Work employee from the drop-down menu, then click Save.
Note: Any employees that exactly match the email, first name, and last name of a Square team member are auto-matched.
- Click Add From Square to create employees that are based on unmatched Square team members. The Add employees from Square team members dialog opens.
- Select the team members you want to match, then click Add.
Send time entries from When I Work to Square
Once the integration is configured, you can send entries at any time from the Timesheets page or by doing a timesheet export.
All time entries for the pay period are sent. If any time entries cannot be sent, a dialog appears that shows a description of the time entries and why they cannot be sent. Click Update Matches to make updates, or click Skip and Continue to skip and export.