Absence tracking is a feature that allows users to report when they cannot work an assigned shift that takes place within the next 24 hours. When users report an absence, management is notified that the assigned person will not be working and coverage is needed.
Absence tracking is available from a computer, iOS device, and Android device.
- Absences can be self-reported by a user or submitted by a user with admin, manager, or supervisor level access on behalf of an employee.
- Absences can only be reported by employees within 24 hours of the shift start time or if the shift is in progress.
- Admins, managers, and supervisors can report absences for past shifts.
- Absence tracking can be used alongside the shift coverage options in the Scheduling Settings.
- If there is a swap request for the shift and the status is Pending Approval or Pending Acceptance, the swap request is automatically cancelled when the shift is reported as absent.
If there is a drop request for the shift and the status is Pending Approval or Pending Acceptance, the drop request is displayed in the Actions column of the Absences page when the shift is reported as absent.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the When I Work Scheduling app to track absences.
The absence tracking functionality is enabled in the Scheduling Settings.
Hover over , then select Scheduling Settings.
- Switch on the toggle for Track Absences.
- Click Save in the top-right corner.
Users see an I Can’t Make It option in the details of their assigned shift. Users can click to report their absence and leave a note to their admin, manager, or supervisor. Management is notified of the absence and the shift is removed from their schedule.
Absences can also be reported by a user from an iOS device or an Android device.
Reporting absences on behalf of a user
Admins, managers, or supervisors can report absences on behalf of their employees from the scheduler or the dashboard.
From the scheduler, hover your pointer over a shift and click . Select Report Absence and enter a note about the absence for admins, managers, and supervisors. An indicator of the absence appears in the scheduler.
From the dashboard, absences can be reported from the Today’s Schedule card or from the Attendance Notices card. To report an absence from Today’s Schedule, hover your pointer over a shift and click View Details. Click Report Absence and enter a note about the absence for admins, managers, and supervisors.
To report an absence from Attendance Notices, hover your pointer over an attendance notice and click . Click Report Absence and enter a note about the absence for admins, managers, and supervisors.
Absences can also be reported from an iOS device or an Android device.
Responding to absences (get shifts covered)
When an absence is reported, management can choose to get the shift covered by another user. To view and respond to absences, hover over then select Absences. Click the Today, Tomorrow, or Older tabs to sort absences by time range. To get the shift covered by another user, click Get Shift Covered in the Actions column. You can select Move to Open to allow any eligible user to pick up the shift or Find Replacement to offer the shift to specific users.
You can also get coverage for shifts reported as absent from the scheduler or the dashboard.
You can get coverage for shifts reported as absent from an iOS device or Android device.