If you notice a discrepancy in an employee’s time sheet, you can make the necessary corrections. You can also add time off and unpaid breaks.
If you’re an employee, you can edit your own time sheet if your employer has chosen to allow it.
Things to know before you begin
- For information about how to read time entries, see our article on reviewing time sheets and pay periods.
- You can edit time sheets in pay periods that are open or closed, but not pay periods that are finalized.
- Open circle indicates the pay period is open; supervisors, managers, and the account holder can make changes. Employees can make changes if allowed by app settings.
- Solid circle indicates the pay period is closed; managers with access to manage payroll and the account holder can still make changes.
- Check circle indicates the pay period is finalized; no one can make changes unless the account holder reopens it.
Step 1: Open the time sheet
- From your computer, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
- Near the top of the screen, click Attendance.
- In the Pay Periods list, select the pay period that you want to view.
- Click the employee’s name under Timesheets on the left or the summary table on the right.
The employee’s time sheet appears.
Step 2: Edit the time sheet
Now that you’re viewing the right time sheet, you can make corrections, add new entries, add time off, and even delete entries.
Add a time entry based on a scheduled shift
If the employee forgot to clock in and out for a shift, you can use the shift information to automatically create the time sheet entry.
- Click Show Shifts.
Scheduled shifts appear at the bottom of the day rows in gray.
- Find the shift that needs a time sheet entry.
- In the Details column, click Plus button at the right side of the shift.
Add or edit a clock in or out time
Edit the clock in or out time if you need to correct an error, or if the employee forgot to clock in or out.
- Click the cell that corresponds to the in or out time.
- Add or edit the time. Use “a” for A.M. and “p” for P.M.
For example, enter 8:45a for 8:45 A.M.
- Press Enter or Return.
Add or edit time entry details
When an employee clocks in for a shift, the details for the time sheet entry are filled in based on the shift. However, if the shift didn’t have the information or the employee wasn’t scheduled to work, you may need to add details manually.
The time sheet entry details contain optional information, such as:
- Schedule (grey)
- Position (blue)
- Job site (green)
- Clock in notes (Note button)
To change any of this information, hover your pointer over the details cell, then click an item to make changes.
Add time off
- In the Total column, click Plus button, then select the type of time off.
- If you selected Paid (PTO), Sick, or Holiday, enter the number of paid hours in the Total column.
Add an unpaid break
Unpaid breaks are not automatically added to time sheets. Employees must remember to clock out for their breaks and clock back in when their break ends. If an employee forgets to clock out for a break, you can manually add the break to the time sheet.
- In the Out column, add the time when the employee’s break started.
- Hover your pointer over the day, then click Plus button to add another time sheet entry for that day.
- Add the time when the employee’s break ended in new row’s In column.
A Coffee Cup icon appears next to the date on the left side of the time sheet. Hover over Coffee Cup to see how long the break lasted.
Delete a time sheet entry
If you need to delete an errant time sheet entry, clear the In and Out times.