If you notice a discrepancy in an employee’s timesheet, you can make the necessary corrections. You can also add time off and unpaid breaks.
If you’re an employee, you can edit your own timesheet if your employer has chosen to allow it.
- For information about how to read time entries, see our article on reviewing timesheets and pay periods.
- You can edit timesheets in pay periods that are open or closed, but not pay periods that are finalized.
- Open circle indicates the pay period is open; supervisors, managers, and the account holder can make changes. Employees can make changes if allowed by the Attendance Settings.
- Solid circle indicates the pay period is closed; managers with access to manage payroll and the account holder can still make changes.
- Check circle indicates the pay period is finalized; no one can make changes unless the account holder reopens it.
Step 1: Open the timesheet
Hover over Attendance, then select Timesheets.
- In the Pay Periods list, select the pay period that you want to view.
- Click the employee’s name under Timesheets on the left or the summary table on the right.
The employee’s timesheet appears.
Step 2: Edit the timesheet
Now that you’re viewing the right timesheet, you can make corrections, add new entries, add time off, and even delete entries.
Add a time entry based on a scheduled shift
If the employee forgot to clock in and out for a shift, you can use the shift information to automatically create the timesheet entry.
- Click Show Shifts.
Scheduled shifts appear at the bottom of the day rows in gray.
- Find the shift that needs a timesheet entry.
- In the Details column, click Plus button at the right side of the shift.
Add or edit a clock in or out time
Edit the clock in or out time if you need to correct an error, or if the employee forgot to clock in or out.
- Click the cell that corresponds to the in or out time.
- Add or edit the time. Use “a” for A.M. and “p” for P.M.
For example, enter 8:45a for 8:45 A.M.
- Press Enter or Return.
Add or edit time entry details
When an employee clocks in for a shift, the details for the timesheet entry are filled in based on the shift. However, if the shift didn’t have the information or the employee wasn’t scheduled to work, you may need to add details manually.
The timesheet entry details contain optional information, such as:
- Lunch (unpaid) break ()
- Schedule (grey)
- Position (blue)
- Job site (green)
- Clock in notes (Note button)
To change any of this information, hover your pointer over the details cell, then click an item to make changes.
Add time off
- In the Total column, click Plus button, then select the type of time off.
- If you selected Paid (PTO), Sick, or Holiday, enter the number of paid hours in the Total column.
Add or edit a lunch break
Lunch breaks can be added or edited on a timesheet when Breaks is toggled on in the Attendance Settings.
- Hover over the Details column of the timesheet, then click Add+.
- Click Lunch Break.
- Add the duration of the break in minutes, then click Save. A appears in the Details column of the timesheet.
You can edit the duration or delete a lunch break. Click in the Details column of the timesheet. A Correct Lunch Break screen appears.
- Add the duration of the break in minutes, then click Save.
- Click Delete to remove the lunch break.
Delete a timesheet entry
If you need to delete an errant timesheet entry, clear the In and Out times.