When I Work integrates with Square’s Employee Management dashboard. The integration allows you to sync employees, locations, and time entries between the systems.
This integration is available for US customers on paid plans only.
The following is a list of items that are synced between When I Work and Square and details about how the sync works for each.
Locations can only be synced from Square to When I Work since each Location in Square needs to have a Square account connected to it.
Once a location is in Square, if it does not exist in When I Work, it will be synced over.
If the user has existing locations in When I Work, make sure that they have the same name with the exact same spelling as the locations in Square. In Square, the location names are called “Nicknames”. They will then be synced together.
Employees can be entered in either When I Work or Square and some of their account details will be synced between the two systems. The items that will be synced are:
- The employee’s Name
- The employee’s Email address
- The employee’s Location
When employees are first synced to Square from When I Work, they show up in the inactive employee list in Square. You must go in and activate them in Square before they can start using the Square register system.
Time sheet entries
Time entries can be added in either Square or When I Work and they will be synced between the two systems.
One note on this is that only completed time pairs are synced. So, if a user clocks in on Square, they need to clock out on Square. If they clock in using When I Work Attendance, they need to clock out using When I Work Attendance.
Before you begin
Before you get started with the integration, you’ll need to do a few things prepare for the syncing process.
- Make sure that you have a Square Employee Management account. This is not the same as a regular Square account. If you aren’t sure what type of account you have, contact Square for support.
- Go in to your Square Employee Management account and add an employee with Administrator access. Skipping this step can cause trouble with syncing, so make sure this is done before continuing.
- If you already have employees or locations in both Square and When I Work, make sure that they are named exactly the same. For example, if you have Jon Smith in Square, make sure he’s set up as Jon Smith in When I Work and not Jonathan Smith. Having differences in names and spelling can cause duplicate items during the syncing process.
Setting up the integration
Now that you have everything you need, it’s time to connect your accounts together to start syncing.
- From your computer, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, hover your pointer over Gear menu and select Integrations.
- Click See all integrations.
- Under Square, click Learn more.
- On the right side of the page, click Enable.
You are prompted to sign in to your Square account.
- Sign in to your Square Employee Management account.
Do not use one of your location accounts.
- After you have connected the application, click Configure.
- Choose which items you would like to sync, then click Save and Sync.
That’s it, you’re done! Now syncing will happen automatically in the background every 30 minutes. If you need to sync something quicker than that, you can click on the Sync button in the Square integration window.