Time Clock & Attendance allows you to easily track employees’ hours by having them clock in and out using When I Work. At the end of each pay period, you can easily send employees’ time sheets to your payroll processor.
This article explains how to set up Time Clock & Attendance for your workplace.
- Already using When I Work Scheduling? Follow the instructions in Adding Time Clock & Attendance to Scheduling instead.
- New to When I Work and interested in using Time Clock & Attendance with Scheduling? Follow our instructions to set up Scheduling first, then follow our instructions to add Time Clock & Attendance.
Things to know before you begin
- When you sign up for a free Time Clock & Attendance trial, you automatically get free Scheduling. For more information, see Introduction to Scheduling.
- Only the account holder can purchase Time Clock & Attendance after the free 30-day trial ends. For more information, check out How Does the Attendance Free Trial Work?.
- When I Work offers three different methods for clocking in and out. You can allow employees to clock in using any or all of the following options:
Step 1: Sign in to When I Work
- If you don’t already have a When I Work account, go to the Time Clock & Attendance page, then click Start Tracking Time to start your free 30-day trial.
- From your computer, use a supported web browser to sign in to When I Work on the web.
Step 2: Set up Time Clock & Attendance settings
- Go to the Attendance page.
The Attendance Setup wizard appears.
- Click Start Setup.
- Follow the Attendance Setup steps.
The settings you configure can be changed at any time in App Settings.
Step 3: Prepare your schedules
If your business has multiple workplaces, create a schedule in When I Work for each one.
Step 4: Add positions
Positions tag employees and shifts to a particular duty or skill. For example, a restaurant might have separate positions for cashier, waiter, and cook. Keeping employees and shifts separated by position helps you ensure that your business has the skill coverage that you need.
Create a position for each type of employee that works in your business.
Step 5: Add employees
Now you’re ready to add your employees. There are several ways to add employees:
- Add employees one at a time: Use this method if you know your employees’ contact information (email address and phone number).
- Import multiple employees at the same time: Use this method if you know your employees’ contact information (email address and phone number) and you want to save time entering a lot of employees.
- Tell your employees to register with your When I Work account:
- Use this option if you don’t know your employees’ contact information.
- When employees register without being explicitly invited, you must approve their accounts.
Step 6: Set up time clock terminals
If you don’t want to set up a time clock terminal for employees to clock in, skip this step.
Follow our instructions to set up a time clock terminal on a computer, iPhone/iPad, or Android phone/tablet.
Step 7: Instruct your employees to start clocking in and out
Now that your clock in methods are defined, tell your employees how they should clock in to their shifts. We recommend sending a WorkChat message to announce time clock procedures to your employees.
Reference our articles on clocking in and out:
- Time clock terminal instructions
- Personal computer instructions
- Mobile instructions: iPhone | Android phone
Now that Time Clock & Attendance is set up, you might want to: