Use shift templates to quickly add standard shifts to the schedule.
Shift templates (formerly called shift blocks) save you time when you need to schedule shifts that have a consistent start and end time. Instead of manually entering in custom shifts details one-by-one, shift templates allow you to schedule a shift quickly and easily.
Things to know before you begin
- You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to make schedule changes.
- This article contains images of the When I Work app on an iPhone. Although the app looks slightly different on an iPad, the app works the same on both devices.
Things to do before you begin
- Create shift templates for shifts that regularly occur.
- Make sure the When I Work Employee Scheduling app is installed on your iPhone or iPad.
Use a shift template to schedule a shift
1) From the iPhone/iPad app, tap the Schedule tab at the bottom of the screen.
2) Click the + icon on the top right of the screen
3) From the menu, select the shift template that you need. In this example, we selected the 7a – 12p as Cashier shift template.
4) This will bring you to a pre-populated shift template. However, you can edit/ add more details about this shift. You can:
- Add a color code
- Edit the Date
- Edit the start and end time
- Assign a location
- Assign a job Site
- Assign a position
- Assign the shift to a specific employee
- Enter the number of employees you need to fill this shift
- Add an Unpaid Break
- Enter Shift Notes
5) When you complete entering the shift details, tap Save on the top right of the screen.
6) A pop up on the bottom of the screen will ask you to tap either Save or Save & Publish.
If you do not click either of these options, the shift will not be stored and you will need to start over.
- If you tap Save, none of your employees will be alerted for this shift. However, you will have the option to Publish or Publish & Notify the shift.
- If you tap Save & Publish, you will have the option to Find Replacement for the shift.