Use shift templates to quickly add standard shifts to the schedule.
Shift templates (formerly called shift blocks) save you time when you need to schedule shifts that have a consistent start and end time. Instead of manually entering in custom shifts details one-by-one, shift templates allow you to schedule a shift quickly and easily.
Things to know before you begin
You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to make schedule changes.
Things to do before you begin
- Create shift templates for shifts that regularly occur.
- Make sure the When I Work Staff Scheduling app is installed on your iPhone or iPad.
Use a shift template to schedule a shift
- From the iPhone/iPad app, tap the Schedule tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the + icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the shift template you need to add to the schedule.
- Modify the shift as needed before saving.
- The shift template is assigned as an OpenShift by default. Tap Who to assign the shift to an employee (a icon next to an employee’s name indicates they have a schedule conflict).
- The date of the shift defaults to the current day. Tap Date to change the day the shift takes place on.
- When you’re done making changes, tap Save in the top-right corner of the screen.
A prompt appears asking how you’d like to save the shift.
- Tap Save to save the shift and leave it unpublished. The employee won’t see the shift until it is published.
- Tap Save & Publish to save the shift and publish it. The Save & Publish option does not send a notification to the employee. If you want to send the employee a notification about the shift, tap Notify. For more information, check out Publishing and Notifying Staff About the Schedule.