Use shift templates to quickly add standard shifts to the schedule.
Shift templates (formerly called shift blocks) save you time when you need to schedule shifts that have a consistent start and end time. Instead of manually entering in custom shifts details one-by-one, shift templates allow you to schedule a shift quickly and easily.
Things to know before you begin
You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges in When I Work to add shifts to the schedule.
Things to do before you begin
- Create shift templates for shifts that regularly occur.
- Make sure the When I Work Scheduling app is installed on your Android phone.
Use a shift template to schedule a shift
Open the When I Work Scheduling app.
- In the top-left corner of the screen, tap Menu button, then tap Schedule.
- Tap the Schedule tab. If you want to view your existing shift coverage, tap the date range to jump to a week, then scroll down to the day.
- Tap Plus button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the shift template that you want to use.
- Under Time, set the start and end dates for the shift. If necessary, adjust the start and end time.
- If you have multiple locations, select the Location where the shift will take place.
- Select Who will work the shift.
- If you added a position to the shift, employees who can work that position are listed on the Qualified tab. If you need to assign the shift to an unqualified employee, tap the All Employees tab.
- To let any qualified employee take this shift, select Open Shift. For more information, see OpenShifts.
- To assign the shift to a specific employee, select that employee.
- Make any additional adjustments to the shift that are needed.
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.
A confirmation prompt appears.
- If you want to save the shift without making it visible to the employee, tap Save (unpublish).
- If you want to make the shift visible and notify the assigned employee based on their alert preferences, tap Save & Publish.