Use shift templates to quickly add standard shifts to the schedule.
Shift templates (formerly called shift blocks) save you time when you need to schedule shifts that have a consistent start and end time. Instead of manually entering in custom shifts details one-by-one, shift templates allow you to schedule a shift quickly and easily.
Things to know before you begin
- You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges in When I Work to add shifts to the schedule.
- We added shift templates to the When I Work Scheduling app in version 4.0. If you don’t see shift templates when you add a shift, try updating the app.
Things to do before you begin
- Create shift templates for shifts that regularly occur.
- Make sure the When I Work Scheduling app is installed on your Android phone.
Use a shift template to schedule a shift
- In the When I Work Scheduling app, tap Menu button.
- Tap Schedule in the menu.
- Tap Schedule.
- (Optional) If you want to view your existing shift coverage, tap the date range to jump to a week, then scroll down to the day.
- Tap Plus button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the shift template that you want to use.
- Set the start and end dates for the shift. If necessary, adjust the start and end time.
- Assign the shift to an employee or make it an OpenShift.
- Scroll down to Who.
- Tap Plus button next to Tag employee.
- To allow a qualified employee to take the shift, tap Open Shift.
- To assign the shift to a specific employee, tap the employee’s name.
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Make any additional adjustments to the shift that are needed.
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.