Edit a User’s Availability Preferences to ensure Account Holder, Managers, and Supervisors have accurate information when Scheduling a User’s shifts.
You can also edit an employee’s availability preferences from your computer.
Things to know before you begin
- Employees’ availability preference lets you know when they prefer to work. Account holders, managers, and supervisors have the right to schedule employees for any time they feel is necessary for the business’ needs.
- You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to set availability preferences on behalf of an employee.
- To set availability preferences, availability must be enabled in App Settings. Only account holders and managers have the ability to edit App Settings.
- Although account holders, managers, and supervisors have the ability to edit an employee’s availability preferences, employees can also enter their account to adjust their alert preferences.
- This article contains images of the When I Work app on an iPhone. Although the app looks slightly different on an iPad, the app works the same on both devices.
Things to do before you beginMake sure the When I Work Staff Scheduling app is installed on your iPhone or iPad.
Edit an employee’s availability preferences (basic mode)
1) From the iPhone/iPad app, click the “More” tab at the bottom of the screen.
2) Select Employees from the Toolbox list
3) Select the User you need to edit. In this example, we will click “Bill Brasky’s” name to enter his Profile.
4) To edit the Employee’s Availability, click “Availability” at the bottom of the screen.
5) On default, Employees are listed as “Available All Day” for all seven days of the week. To edit the Employee’s Availability Preferences, click the “Clock” icon under the day of the week you want to edit.
6) At the bottom of the screen, toggle between “Preferred” and “Unavailable” to adjust your preferences.
For example, if the Employee prefers to work on Monday mornings, select Preferred and indicate the start/ end of your preference. If the Employee prefers not to work on Saturday nights, select the Unavailable toggle and indicate the start/end of your preference.
Select “All Day” as a shortcut to indicate the Employee’s availability/ unavailability on a specific day of the week.
If you want to delete an existing availability for a specific day of the week, click the “Trashcan” icon to start over.
7) Continue editing the Employee’s Availability Preferences for the entire week. If you need to add an availability and an unavailability for the same day of the week, click the + icon to reopen the toggle at the bottom of the screen.
When you have completed adding the Employee’s Availability for the entire week, it should look like the screenshot below.
8) When you have completed entering your Employee’s Availability for the entire week, scroll to the top of the screen and click “Save.” If you do not click Save, your options will not be stored and you will need to start over.
Edit an employee’s availability preferences (advanced mode)
1) Follow Step 1 through 4 in Basic Mode to access the Employee’s Availability Preferences screen. Instead of automatically editing preferences, click “Advanced Configuration” at the bottom of the screen.
2) This will open a form for you to enter a “Title” as well as a brief “Description” of this Availability Preference.
3) Once you have completed entering the “Title” and “Description”, define how long this Employee’s Availability Preference should run. Edit the “Effective” start and end date. If there is no end date, click “Ongoing.”
4) How frequent does this Availability Preference run? Edit the “Rotation” to define if this preference is every week, every other week, every 3 weeks, or every 4 weeks.
5) Proceed with editing the Employee’s Preferred/ Unavailability for each day of the week (Refer to Step 5 and 6 in the Basic Mode). Once complete, click “Save” on the top right of the screen.
6) You will be brought to a screen where you can choose to “Create A (New) Preference” for the Employee at the bottom of the screen. You can also “Edit” your Employee’s existing Availability Preference at the top right of the screen, or you can click “Done” at the top left of the screen to return to the Dashboard.
NOTE: You can create as many Availability Preferences as you need for the Employee!