Create a custom shift when you need to add a unique shift that doesn’t match one of your regularly occurring shifts.
Things to know before you begin
You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to add shifts to the schedule.
Create a custom shift
Open the When I Work Scheduling app.
- In the top-left corner of the screen, tap Menu button.
- Tap Schedule in the menu.
- Tap Schedule.
- (Optional) If you want to view your existing shift coverage, tap the date range to jump to a week, then scroll down to the day.
- Tap Plus button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Custom Shift.
If you’re using an older version of the Scheduling app, the shift details appear instead. Skip this step.
- Set up the custom shift.
- Add a shift color
- Edit the date
- Edit the start and end time
- Add an unpaid break in hours (for example, enter .5 for 30 minutes)
- Enter shift notes (up to 350 characters)
- Assign a location
- Assign the shift to a specific employee or make it an OpenShift
- Assign a position
- Assign a job site
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.
A confirmation prompt appears.
- If you want to save the shift without making it visible to the employee, tap Save (unpublish).
- If you want to make the shift visible and notify the assigned employee based on their alert preferences, tap Save & Publish.