Create a custom shift when you need to add a unique shift that doesn’t match one of your regularly occurring shifts.
Things to know before you begin
- When I Work also offers the ability to add Custom Shifts from your computer or iPhone/iPad.
- You must be a supervisor, manager, or account holder to add shifts to the schedule.
Things to do before you begin
Make sure the When I Work Android app is installed on your Android phone.
Create a custom shift
- In the When I Work Scheduling app, tap Menu button.
- Tap Schedule in the menu.
- Tap Schedule.
- (Optional) If you want to view your existing shift coverage, tap the date range to jump to a week, then scroll down to the day.
- Tap Plus button in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap Custom Shift.
If you’re using an older version of the Scheduling app, the shift details appear instead. Skip this step.
- Set up this custom shift.
- Add a shift color
- Edit the date
- Edit the start and end time
- Add an unpaid break in hours (for example, enter .5 for 30 minutes)
- Enter shift notes (up to 350 characters)
- Assign a location
- Assign the shift to a specific employee or make it an OpenShift
- Assign a position
- Assign a job site
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.
A confirmation prompt appears.
- If you want to save the shift without making it visible to the employee, tap Save (unpublish).
- If you want to make the shift visible and notify the assigned employee, tap Save & Publish.