Create a custom shift when you need to add a unique shift that doesn’t match one of your regularly occurring shifts.
Things to know before you begin
You must have supervisor, manager, or account holder access privileges to add shifts to the schedule.
Create a custom shift
Open the When I Work Scheduling app.
- In the top-left corner of the screen, tap Menu button, then tap Schedule.
- Tap the Schedule tab. If you want to view your existing shift coverage, tap the date range to jump to a week, then scroll down to the day.
- Tap Plus button in the top-right corner of the screen, then tap Custom Shift.
- Set up the shift.
- (Optional) Select a color for the shift.
- Under Time, set the start and end time for the shift.
- (Optional) Add an Unpaid break in hours. For example, enter .5 for 30 minutes.
- (Optional) Add Notes (up to 350 characters).
- If you have multiple locations, select the Location where the shift will take place.
- Select the Position that needs to be filled.
- Select Who will work the shift.
- If you added a position to the shift, employees who can work that position are listed on the Qualified tab. If you need to assign the shift to an unqualified employee, tap the All Employees tab.
- To let any qualified employee take this shift, select Open Shift. For more information, see OpenShifts.
- To assign the shift to a specific employee, select that employee.
- (Optional) If the shift will take place off site from your normal location, add a Job Site.
- When you’re finished, tap Checkmark button in the top-right corner of the screen to save.
A confirmation prompt appears.
- If you want to save the shift without making it visible to the employee, tap Save (unpublish).
- If you want to make the shift visible and notify the assigned employee based on their alert preferences, tap Save & Publish.